Christmas may be over, but New Year is another occasion that most people are preparing for. So, to help you with your holiday planning, here’s a dessert that will give you that awesome taste but is light enough that you’re free to enjoy it without having that guilty feeling.
This cheesecake has a subtle peppermint flavor; thus, making it a great dessert this holiday season. You can also sprinkle it with crushed candy canes to give it an extra crunch and minty flavor.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
½ cup low fat Honey Graham cracker crumbs
1 8 ounce pack fat-free cream cheese, softened
1 8 ounce pack reduced fat cream cheese, softened
2 egg whites
½ cup sugar
2 to 3 drops of red food coloring (optional)
1 ½ tsp peppermint extract
Mini candy canes for garnishing
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the graham cracker in a sealed plastic bag and crush them using a rolling pin to make the crumbs.
- Get a loose-bottomed baking pan or an 8-inch springform and spray it with nonstick spray.
- Cover the base and side of the pan with a foil wrap. Then, press the crumbs to the base of the pan and bake it for about 8 minutes.
- Get a large bowl and beat the sugar and cream cheese together. Mix them until it becomes smooth.
- Add in the egg and mix well. Continue beating and add in the egg whites one at a time.
- You can also add peppermint extract if you want. Add a few drops of food coloring to give it that light pink color.
- Pour the cream cheese mixture into the pan.
- Put the cheesecake in a shallow roasting pan. Don’t forget to add hot water. This is important as the steam will help prevent the cheesecake from cracking.
- Bake it for around 30 to 35 minutes until the center is almost set.
- Let it cool for about 15 minutes. Then, remove it from the pan.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Serve chilled.